Monday, February 13, 2012

Not a lot new on the sled front

As the title indicates nothing is super new with our training. I had taken a few days off after the last post because of my work hours and then 2 days off prior to this post because I have been hunted down and stricken with a cold almost as fierce as a man cold, but clearly not as I am a woman and that cold does not cross genders!

Today we did a lot of runs, it was beautiful out and I wasn't going to let a cold get in my way (another sign it is not actually the man cold) I hooked up the heavies and Elmo as usual. I have switched up the order as I don't really want Tibby pulling right now much and I have to 'force' Karma into getting involved a bit more as she is smart enough to know how to not have to pull when in lead.
She does a good job of keeping the sled going the right way even if not in lead, Elmo I wouldn't say knows the commands as much as he knows the routine of the training oval but for now I am happy with that. I figure once it gets too warm out for the heavies I will spend a lot of time with him this spring doing dryland command training as well as getting him to ignore distractions.

We went around 5 times in total at a nice steady pace, nothing fast as I want to focus on getting everyone engaged with this exercise. Our last lap was amazing, all 3 heavies got into it with Elmo and everyone pulled together as a team, I think they clued in that if they all work together it is much easier. Marv also discovered that by keeping his line tight it is also easier for and on him.

I was very pleased with our runs today and called it a day. Or so I thought.
It was just so beautiful that I decided to go back out with Elmo, but I figured he would be a bit tuckered out so I thought I would try out my 9 year old Rottie Boxer mix Kita and hook Rambo up just by his collar so he could get some energy out too ( Rambo is a Pem Corgi)

WELL... that was exactly like hooking up Maybelle last week. We were flying down the trail. Kita as though she had done this sledding thing her whole life just got into it and started running her heart out, Elmo was so happy to have someone who runs that he tried to race her, Rambo, who considering is dwarf legged was keeping up with them no problem! I almost wiped out twice turning corners and took a bit of jump as well over a small hill on the trail. It was amazing.
I wont lie, but I want to FLY across the trails next year! I know I dont really have the dogs for speed but I figure I can find some somewhere :)

It is safe to say that I am officially obsessed with dog sledding again. I don't know what I was thinking when I decided I wanted to do conformation showing to be honest??? Where is the energy and exhilaration in that? Maybe some people feel it, but I sure as shit don't. I feel most alive when I am flying down a trail standing on 2 very thin skis listening to the dogs feet digging in the snow and the runners gliding across it. Amazing!

For any of you who are reading this by chance and have a dog that is "too energetic" try dog sledding!

2 comments:

  1. Yeah, screw the show ring.....booorrring! :P

    I originally planned on CKC obedience as well, but decided against that as well. 5 minute stays, yawn!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'm quite over fancy CKC titles, I don't believe it proves my dog is any better or breed worthy. I think my standards for "breeding worthy" dogs is a lot higher than a purchased conformation title or insane lengthy boring things.
    There are some fun titles I'm sure but if I stumble upon them I will do them, however, for now I would much rather have happy healthy dogs be them breeder dogs or rescues from here on out.

    ReplyDelete